Friday, August 12, 2005

Sweet as Pie

P1010298

After one CRAZY week...I needed some normalcy. I was home early today because I had a bucket truck in my back yard trimming a tree that had shed a limb on my neighbor's garage roof this week. I had been in my back yard last Saturday and I heard this eerie deep shriek from up in the very top on the only tree I have in my back yard. The noise was the beginning of the situation that dominated my week. It did little roof damage, broke my fence and left a nasty mess. And dealing with my insurance company for the first time has been interesting to say the least.

But since my entire week was consumed with negotiations and explanations I was looking for a distraction that would swirl my weekend back to normal. So I looked around for a project this afternoon, since that's what usually distracts me. I thought about drawing or working on one of many unfinished paintings but I talked myself out of those ideas. So I remebered that my mother handed me a bag of home-grown apples and suggested that they would be great for a pie. Now, my mom has handed me countless bags of apples over the years with the same instruction - I just never have had the urge to go home a bake a home-made pie. But this afternoon my feelings were different. I felt the urge to bake.

So, as I sat down and peeled and sugared each apple with care, the memories of being a child and watching my mother do the very same thing started coming back. I traced the steps that she had showed me and found peace in rolling out pie dough. I buttered and folded the crusts and layered the top with small pieces of butter. I was so content and happy with myself that as soon as the timer went off I jumped and went to inspect my finished masterpiece.

Now, I am sitting watching it rain on my newly trimmed sweet gum tree and I'm slicing into my warm desert, with a tall glass of milk. Satchel's at my bare feet and everything seems less stressful and the world is a little more sweet.

2 comments:

Kara0303 said...

Ladies and gentlemen...she uses a weedeater, she spreads fertilizer, she fixes leaky roofs, AND now she bakes! Is there anything this girl can't do!?

Anonymous said...

Yummmm...That pie was good to the last drop. Thanks for sharing!!