Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Corporate Compliance Blows

From almost 7 years I have endured the guilt of working in an environment that believes that dedication means no less that 60 hours a week. They have little compassion for balanced lives.

They're mission statement:
You'll be a success as long as your top priority is your job.


Are you looked down upon for wanting to work 9 hours day? And is this trend something that can be stopped? How do we as workers get around the guilt and persecution for the need to set aside work at the appropriate time?

Do most companies function this way? Or are there company's out there that believe that people need balance and they are not disposable and neither are there personal lives.

I need some help. I don't ask for help very often but I need opinions from my Corporate America brothers and sisters.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Please OH please tell me that 'they' have not actually put that mission statement in print. Tell me that is only the perceived mission statement? If that is in writing - run now- run fast - run Forrest run! But then again who I am I to give advice I just visit corporate America and I can walk away each day after 11 - 13 hours. This is sick - just sick. I'm hoping to hear great advice from your fellow corporate Americans!

Gordon said...

It's rough, I agree with you, as a current member of corporate America, I feel your pain. It's almost worse when they tell you that they want you to "balance your life away from work" then decline your vacation requests due to "business need". All you can do is impose your will, make it clear that they're better of giving you some 40-45 hour work weeks than for them to pay for you to have a mental breakdown....that or just call out occasionally, when you need a personal day.

Ken said...

actually, for a corporate desk jockey, I'm lucky enough to be in an area that is pretty home life friendly.

i've never had a vacation declined and the boss is pretty good when i need to jet out for an emergency.

i know that there are several folks in my own company that arent as lucky so it basically boils down to your immediate mgt.

they're the ones that enforce the corporate policy.